For individuals with acid reflux, it’s important to eat foods that won’t make symptoms worse. Yogurt is one of the healthiest foods, but is its Greek counterpart more acidic than regular yogurt?
Regular yogurt has a pH level of 4-4.5, while Greek yogurt’s pH level is 4.8 to 4.9. Since anything under a pH level of 7 is acidic, Greek yogurt is only slightly less acidic than regular yogurt.
There are other things to understand when it comes to determining the acidity levels of Greek yogurt compared to regular yogurt. Read on below to learn more.
Table of Contents
Is Greek Yogurt Acidic or Alkaline?
Greek yogurt is only slightly less acidic compared to regular yogurt.
The pH level of regular yogurt ranges from 4 to 4.5, while Greek yogurt is usually around 4.8 to 4.9. But even though Greek yogurt is acidic, it doesn’t cause excess production of stomach acids when consumed because yogurt effectively neutralizes these acids. This is why people who have acid reflux or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) can still eat Greek or regular yogurt without having to worry about worsening of side effects.
However, there are certain factors that make any type of yogurt, Greek included, higher in acidity. These are:
- Fat content: The more fat used in Greek yogurt, the higher its acidity. For low-fat Greek yogurt, look for brands that have 0.4 – 2% fat.
- Sugar content: The use of added sugar and sweeteners increases the acidity of Greek yogurt. Many store-bought Greek yogurt varieties use added sweeteners or include fruits which make it all much more acidic.
- Milk used: Milks can be acidic, so if you want more alkaline Greek yogurt, choose those that are made from dried coconut, almond, or soy milk. On the other hand, Greek yogurt made from cow’s, goat’s, fresh coconut, cashew, or oat milk are more acidic.
Eating less acidic Greek yogurt is a healthy and tasty way to improve digestion while enjoying the other health benefits of this fermented food. Just be sure to choose your Greek yogurt carefully.
Our Recommendations for Less Acidic Greek Yogurt
There are many high-quality and delicious less acidic Greek yogurt choices out there. Here are some examples that you can find on Amazon:
- 365 by Whole Foods Market Plain Greek Yogurt: With this Grade A organic Greek yogurt, you can have it as a snack or make it into many other dishes at home. It’s low in fat and sugar, and doesn’t contain excess flavorings, making it the ideal alkaline Greek yogurt.
- Amazon Happy Belly Greek Non-Fat Plain Yogurt: There’s no fat and only 5 grams of sugar in each serving of the Happy Belly Greek Non-Fat Plain Yogurt. It’s also loaded with protein and calcium, perfect for anyone who wants to make sure they are getting their extra nutrients with yogurt.
- Chobani Non-Fat Greek Yogurt: Chobani is a well-known yogurt brand, and you can’t go wrong with this Non-Fat Greek Yogurt Variety. It has 0 fat and just 4 grams of sugar in each serving, with no added sugars.
Making Your Own Greek Yogurt
An ideal way to have full control over the acidity and ingredients in your yogurt is to make it yourself at home. This enables you to use the milk of your choice and limiting or increasing added flavorings to suit your taste or personal preferences. You would need to have a Greek yogurt starter, then follow the manufacturer’s directions to make it in the comfort of your own home.
Here are our recommendations for Greek yogurt starters, which are available on Amazon:
- Culture Cupboard Mild Greek Yogurt Starter Culture: Easily make thick and creamy Greek yogurt using a traditional Bulgarian culture with the Culture Cupboard Mild Greek Yogurt Starter Culture. You can make it with all kinds of dairy milks and create yogurt using a variety of yogurt makers. Best of all, no sugar has been added.
- Cultures for Health Greek Yogurt Starter Culture: Cultures for Health is a renowned yogurt starter brand. This excellent starter kit is made with gluten-free, natural, and non-GMO ingredients so that you can make healthy, low acid yogurt at home. The starter can also be reused as many times as you need to.
- Belle + Bella Vegan Yogurt Starter: Making vegan, alkaline Greek yogurt at home is so easy thanks to the Belle + Bella Vegan Yogurt Starter. It only contains ingredients that are good for you, and no artificial flavors, thickeners, colors, sugars, and preservatives. You can use plant-based milks as well as dairy milks too.
Greek yogurt is slightly less acidic compared to regular yogurt, when traditionally made. There are many choices for store-bought Greek yogurt so finding one that fits your health needs is easy. Better yet, you can even make it at home with a Greek yogurt starter.