There are many nutritious kinds of human food that dogs can benefit from, including yogurt. But since not all fruits are safe for dogs, some wonder if dogs can safely eat strawberry yogurt.
Dogs can eat small amounts of strawberry yogurt as long as it does not contain artificial sweeteners especially xylitol. Organic, unsweetened, and unflavored yogurt is always best. However, if your dog is lactose intolerant, any kind of yogurt should be avoided.
There are certain things to keep in mind if you want to feed your dog strawberry yogurt. Read on below to learn more.
Table of Contents
Is Strawberry Yogurt Good for Dogs?
Strawberry yogurt is a healthy treat that dogs can have.
In fact, regular yogurt and Greek strawberry yogurt has many benefits for dogs and strawberries are one of the fruits that are safe for them to eat as long as they are not lactose intolerant.
Regular, low fat, and nonfat yogurt are dairy products that contain milk though not all dogs can efficiently digest milk. Certain vegan strawberry yogurt made from dairy alternatives are also safe, such as those made from oats, almond, and soy milk if your dog is lactose intolerant.
However, before you give your dog any kind of yogurt, it’s critical to read the label for the ingredients used. Not all types of yogurt are safe for dogs especially if they contain xylitol, a commonly used sweetener that can be found in some kinds of yogurt. Xylitol is highly toxic for dogs and if they have ingested any food with xylitol, they should be taken to the vet immediately.
For this reason, the safest kind of yogurt to give your dog is plain, unflavored, unsweetened, low or non-fat. In addition, you can even add strawberries to plain yogurt then give it to your dog. This way, you can ensure they are getting less sugar while enjoying the benefits of both strawberries and yogurt.
Benefits of Strawberry Yogurt for Dogs
- Probiotics: All yogurt contains probiotics, which can strengthen the immune system of dogs while benefiting their digestive tract. These probiotics offer numerous health benefits for dogs including weight loss, healthier coat and skin, improved digestion, and reduced risk for disease.
- Protection from yeast: For dogs that are prone to frequent itching, hot spots, or ear infections, the probiotics in strawberry yogurt can help mitigate the yeast that can cause these conditions.
- Nutrients: Dogs require a high amount of protein for their daily diet, and strawberry yogurt is a good source of it. It’s also a good source of calcium to strengthen your dog’s bones.
How Much Yogurt To Give Your Dog
A small amount of yogurt can be a good addition for your dog’s diet. It shouldn’t be given in high amounts but instead be treated as a snack.
Here’s how much yogurt they can be given daily depending on their size:
- Small dogs: 1 teaspoon
- Medium dogs: 2 teaspoons
- Large dogs: 3 teaspoons
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of yogurt should dogs avoid?
While yogurt is good for dogs, there are certain types of yogurt that should not be given to dogs.
- Yogurt that contains artificial sweeteners particularly xylitol, which is toxic for dogs
- Yogurt with fruit on the bottom
- Yogurt with high fat content
You should also check the ingredients list if you want to give your dog vegan yogurt which is made with dairy alternatives and may contain some ingredients that are dangerous to your dog. Vegan yogurt may contain xylitol; other yogurt ingredients that are toxic for dogs include avocadoes, macadamia nuts, and chocolate.
If you want to be sure about the kind of yogurt you are giving your dog, you can make it yourself at home.
Feel free to share strawberry yogurt with your dog. It’s an excellent source of nutrients and probiotics which are good for their health, for as long as it contains safe ingredients.